The 3DR X8+ Multicopter is a proven and exceptionally stable flying platform designed for shooting high-quality video, surveying crops, data acquisition or any professional application that demands a reliable, wind-resistant drone capable of executing flight plans using GPS autopilot. It’s a workhorse that is used in many industries today.
The X8 excels at low-speed, high precision mapping and aerial photography. It is also great for transporting payloads up to 1 lb.
The X8+ uses the same reliable and stable 8-prop lift system as its more expensive cousin, the X8-M, which is used in professional image mapping and data acquisition.
The X8+ is shipped with a hard-top travel case, FlySky FS-TH9X radio control unit and 3DR’s outstanding Pixhawk autopilot system that provides a number of advanced flight planning and control features.
For aerial photography and film making, 3DR recommends using the Tarot Brushless 2-axis gimbal for GoPro (camera and gimbal are sold separately).
Hobbyists and niche drone specialists love the the 3DR platform because it is 100% open source, making it easy to tweak for unique applications.
- 2×4 propeller lift system
- Autopilot hardware: Pixhawk v2.4.5
- Autopilot firmware: ArduCopter 3.2
- GPS: 3DR u-blox GPS with Compass (LEA-6H module, 5 Hz update)
- Ground Station Radio: 3DR Radio v2 (915 MHz or 433 MHz)
- Controller: FlySky FS-TH9X with FrSky telemetry module
- Payload Capacity: 800 g (1.7 lbs). Additional payload possible up to over 1kg with reduced flight time.
- 15 min flight time
- 90-day warranty
- Camera and gimbal sold separately.
- For GoPro, use the 2-axis Tarot Brushless Gimbal (sold separately)
Features We Like
- 3DR Pixhawk GPS autopilot system (outstanding)
- Ground station radio switchable between 433 and 915 MHz
- Reliable, redundant 2×4 rotor configuration
- Powerful and stable
- Many camera and gimbal choices
- 1lb payload
Latest posts by Andrew Nixon (see all)
- Racing Drone Buyers Guide - June 12, 2017
- The Best Camera Drones Selling Today: The Ultimate Buying Guide - June 5, 2017
- Best Drones For Agriculture 2017: The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide - May 4, 2017