Phantom 3 Professional
- Smallest Portable Aerial Video Platform ever
- Flight Simulator lets you practice before you fly
- Easy to use by anyone (not just hobbyists)
- Live video streaming up to 1km distance
- Excellent flight range (2km) & endurance
- Sensitive to foul weather/rain
- Expensive for a consumer drone
- No Ground Station support (yet)
Powered by WP Product Review
Our TakeNOTE: in 2017, DJI replaced the Phantom 3 Pro with the Phantom 4 PRO.
The Phantom 3 Pro is an easy to use, fully integrated camera drone package with an intelligent system that helps you fly smarter.
Even when flying up to 1.2 miles (2km)* away, built-in Lightbridge technology gives you complete control over your Phantom 3 and an immersive, live HD view of everything below.
Just connect your phone or tablet (iOS or Android) to the USB port on the all-new controller and you’re ready to film.
The Phantom 3 streams video direct to your device in 720p from a distance of up to 1.2 miles. And your phone will charge while connected to the controller!
The new DJI Go flight control app used for the Phantom 3 is the same used by its more expensive sibling, the Inspire 1.
The main screen in the DJI Pilot app has four main functions: camera, director, store and user center.
In the camera section, you access everything you need to fly the Phantom 3.
Surrounding the live camera feed are a ton of dials and telemetry data including your altitude, distance from ground station and map location (bottom right corner). It also displays live signal strength indicators for your comm channel and GPS satellites.
The controller includes buttons for Auto Takeoff and Return Home flight modes. There’s also a prominent button for taking camera shots.
PC Ground Station
DJI Go App
The included DJI Go App runs on your phone or tablet, allowing you to see and control everything through one screen:
- live scrolling map provides real-time awareness of your location and surroundings
- control the camera
- control your flight settings
- view live flight telemetry including altitude, speed and direction
- view your flight log
- edit, publish and share video straight from your phone or tablet
DJI Video Editor
Using the DJI Video Editor app on your smartphone or tablet, you can:
- Create professional-looking movies in minutes
- Choose from several pre-defined templates
One big difference between the Phantom 2 and 3 is the camera. The Phantom 2 is designed to carry a GoPro, whereas the Phantom 3 uses its own proprietary DJI camera.
The included 4K camera is excellent, however. There’s almost zero fisheye distortion present and the images are outstanding and color-balanced.
Close-ups are a bit soft/fuzzy, but otherwise nothing to complain about.
One of the benefits of controlling the camera is that DJI can extend functionality and control beyond what GoPro allows. The Phantom 3 includes new camera controls like time-lapse and burst mode, and you set manual exposure via the app.
Automatic Flight Assistant
The Phantom 3 comes with advanced flight assistance features including:
- built-in GPS records your aircraft’s take-off point and position at all times
- if you lose contact or lose control of the aircraft, it will automatically return home
- upon takeoff, the aircraft hovers in place until you are ready to go
- upon landing, the Phantom 3 hovers in place until you are ready to receive it
Advanced Flight Modes
DJI recently announced that advanced flight modes and waypoint-directed GPS autopilot are NOW AVAILABLE for their Phantom lineup.
Live Video Streaming To YouTube
Once you grab the shot, the included video editing software works lets you stream your live video directly to YouTube (720p). Not sure how many people will actually do this, but it could be used for live event coverage or video surveillance.
The Phantom 3 is designed to basically fly itself, while you focus on getting a great camera shot. First Person View (FPV) works almost flawlessly (unlike the Phantom 2), and is a lot of fun.
Overall, the Phantom 3 is a great camera drone that takes incredibly crisp and stable images while keeping things simple.
It’s the perfect cam drone for most consumers and hobbyists.
- Accepts any size phone or tablet for FPV video display
- Included 4K Video / 12 Megapixel Photo Camera
- Integrated 3-Axis Stabilization Gimbal
- Intelligent Flight System
- Live HD View
- Dedicated Remote Controller
- Powerful Mobile App w/ Auto Video Editor
- Vision Positioning for Indoor Flight
- 18-20 min flight time
- 2 km range
- 1-year warranty
- 24/7 technical support
Features We Like
- The easiest-to-own and operate HD camera drone on the market today.
- Suitable for amateur and semi-professional photographers and film makers.
- Small size makes it perfect for travel.
- Built-in 4K camera with no Fish-eye effect
- DJI Pilot App lets you operate the camera and view live streaming through your smart phone or tablet
- 3-Axis gimbal provides pixel-grade stabilized video
- Fail-Safe mode brings the drone home on low-battery alert
- Auto Take Off
- Return Home
- Vision Sensor monitors ground position within 3 meters, making indoor operation a breeze
Latest posts by Andrew Nixon (see all)
- Best Drones For Agriculture 2017: The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide - May 4, 2017
- Fly It, or Buy It? The Complete Guide To Using Camera Drones for Real Estate Marketing - April 16, 2017
- Racing Drone Buyers Guide - April 12, 2017